Sunday, February 26, 2017

Small Great Things - Jodi Picoult

Jodi Picoult is one of the authors at the top of my reading list. I was pleased when I was granted the chance to read this book through NetGalley because I didn't think I had enough reviews on my profile to qualify. That being said, I had no idea how intense this book would be to read. I have always enjoyed stories that incorporated medical settings and also court ones, as a result of my legal background. This has both and more.

Ruth is a labor and delivery nurse with 20 years' experience and is also a mother of a young man ready to graduate high school and go to college. She is also black and this is what brings so much to the story. There are lessons to be learned from this book. It is strong and important and I'm so glad I read it. I've grown up in a very different life than Ruth did and have traveled and lived many places and had a lot of friends from different backgrounds and yet there is so much that I couldn't relate to since I am not black. The world is not a kind place to those who are different even if they seem like and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment