Thursday, February 16, 2017

The Promise Kitchen - Peggy Lampman



When reading the description of the book, you have expectations. I started it and wasn't sure if it I wanted to continue because it didn't start as I expected. However, as I continued reading it, I found myself wanting to get to know Mallory and Shelby even better. In Shelby's case, life was hard but she felt she could "be an example, proving to her that when you set your mind to do something you can make that something happen" which is such a motivating way to look at life. The author definitely did a great job describing and growing the two main characters and helping the reader to really feel what it was like to be living in rural Georgia and Atlanta -- two very different places indeed.

Both Shelby and Mallory were cooks. One started in a rural town with down home recipes and ingredients. The other was more sophisticated and came from a more refined life. Both loved food and sharing it with friends and wanted more from their lives. This story brings them together in an unusual twist. I love to cook and the food aspect definitely appealed to me but the contrast between the two women and the direction of their lives kept me turning the page to see what would happen next.

A favorite passage was "Carefully chosen words threading into a sentence, paragraph, then story -- as colorful patches sewn into a quilt -- comfort me, weaving me into a bigger life, a life that matters." This in itself describes why we continue reading book after book and enjoy it so much!

This was one of the ARC from Netgalley which I am thankful I have the opportunity to be a part of the community of readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment